Thursday, August 28, 2008

Memories, The Arizona, And the Botanical Gardens

Ok, I'm back with more pictures and memories!

Let me first share a couple memories that I don't have pictures of. Clara and I visited a huge flee market outside of the stadium. If you ever visit Oahu, that's a GREAT place to get souvenirs!

One of my favorite memories from the whole trip was the night Stephen took Clara and I to a little grill on Hickam Air Force Base. We sat on the deck right near the water on an absolutely LOVELY evening and ate salmon and mauhi mauhi (sp?). We have this on going competition of who can order the best dish. This particular night he beat me with his mauhi mauhi, but it was all good. The evening was beautiful, the food yummy, Clara was being a little sweetie and we were together. After eating we took a little walk down by the water to a small beach and I took my first walk into Hawaii water! Special memories.

Ok, here are a couple cute pictures of Clara in our room.

Toppling over... but happy anyway! :-)

Sleeping in the easy chair.



Clara and I were able to visit the Arizona memorial out in Pearl Harbor. The Arizona was sunk during the attack on Pearl Harbor and lies on the harbor floor, the tomb of men that died inside the ship that day. Parts of the ship stick up out of the water and some of it can be seen right below the water, an enduring reminder of a day that shall live in infamy.







I believe this flag pole has actually been attached to the ship so that the Arizona can again wave the flag of the United States of America!





Oil on the water








Another excursion that we ladies made while Daddy worked was a trip to the largest botanical gardens on Oahu. It was lovely there! It struck me as more like a tropical forest park then a highly cultivated botanical gardens.


Aren't these neat???!!!

Huge Leaves!

"Ummmm... Mom... how much longer am I going to have to be in this chair???"

Sorry this isn't really in focus.




"Seeing as it looks like this is going to take a while, I'll just take a snooze."


Another Mother-Daughter-self-portrait.

Had enough of the botanic garden! :-)

Clara could use one of those leaves as a blanket!!!


This nice gentleman we met at the botanical garden offered to make a bird for Clara. And here is his neat creation made out of coconut leaves.

No comments: