Saturday, May 28, 2011

Passing On A Blessing...

Stephen and I have really been enjoying the daily devotional book "One Day At A Time", by William MacDonald.

Today's verse and thoughts particularly stood out to me and I'd like to share part of it with you. I found it a blessing, encouragement, and convicting.

"But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." 2 Corinthians 3:18

"The Bible teaches that we become like what we worship. That important insight is found in today's text. Let's break it down this way:
But we all- that is, all true believers;

with open or unveiled face- sin causes a veil between our faces and the Lord. When we confess and forsake the sin, we have an open or unveiled face;

beholding as in a glass- the glass or mirror is the Word of God, in which we behold

the glory of the Lord - meaning His moral excellence. In the Bible we gaze upon the perfection of His character, the beauty of all His works and ways;

are changed into the same image - we become like Him. We are changed by beholding. The more we are occupied with Him, he more like Him we become. This change is

from glory to glory - from one degree of glory to another. The change does not take place all at once. It is a process that continues as long as we behold Him. The transformation of our character is effected

even as by the Spirit of the Lord-the Holy Spirit produces likeness to Christ in all those who gaze by faith upon the Savior as He is revealed in the Bible.

....I do know that reverent occupation with the Son of God produces moral resemblance to Him.

The way to holiness is through gazing upon the Lord Jesus. It is not ordinarily possible to think of Christ and of sin at the same time. During those moments when we are taken up with Him, we are most free from sin. Our goal then should be to increase the percentage of our time when we are beholding Him."

~William MacDonald

I tend to ask the Lord Jesus to cleanse me and make me what He wants me to be... and then rush on with my day, my thoughts, my activities, etc., instead of focusing on Him as I go about the responsibilities He has given me.

What or Who are my thoughts full of today? What or Who am I showing that I truly worship by my choices in thought, action and word?

Help me Lord Jesus to make you the center of all my life!

1 comment:

Joshua and Stephanie said...

Joshua and I read through that book together last year I think it was...it was so good and though provoking. Thank you for the reminder!