Thursday, February 12, 2009

Food For Thought For Valentines Day

Here's a neat definition of love that my Mom gave me once in a plaque: "Giving to the basic needs of others, without expecting anything in return." Wow. How many of us REALLY love others? How many times do I give without expecting ANYTHING... not even a smile, or a thank you, or any recognition AT ALL???

And I imagine we all, including myself, tend to think of the "basic needs" of others as their physical needs. Make sure Clara gets fed and there's a good meal on the table for hubby and me. Make sure Clara's little toes don't get too cold... put those socks on! Get that laundry done! Etc., etc., etc. However, what about other kinds of needs, like someone's basic emotional needs. Does my daughter feel that Mama really loves her and wants to have her around. Does she feel like she's special? Does she see evidence every day that Mommy and Daddy REALLY love each other, so that she can feel secure in her family? Does she feel a sense of peace, calm and order in her home?

And how about the precious husband. Am I daily meeting his emotional needs... to feel loved, respected, honored? Is he able to come home and feel peacefulness, calm and order? Is it a place where he can be refreshed for the battles ahead?

And what about those people in my social circle that I know nobody really likes very much and are difficult to be around? What basic needs might God be asking me to help them with?

And what about the spiritual needs of others... the need to hear about the Lord Jesus Christ and the truth that can set them free?

Let's ask the Lord Jesus Christ to give us the true, pure, unconditional love that only He can give. We can't have it on our own... just check out I Corinthians 13... that's true love, but it's too hard for us. However, with Christ, all things are possible!!!

No comments: