Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Intelligent-itis

If only smarts were contagious... I would have a serious case of intelligent-itis right now. You see, how could I avoid it having spent an evening, this last weekend, at an annual engineering awards banquet??? But alas, I must have been inoculated against that peril.

So, you ask, what does a room full of engineers and those, like myself, who have chosen to stand beside them in life, look like? Well, surprisingly, they looked much like any other group of well dressed people! :-)

Ok, goofiness aside, I really looked forward to dressing up and going out with my hubby to this event. Some kind friends watched the baby. We met some very nice people and had some enjoyable chats. Ok, I'll be honest, there was a discussion before dinner where some people were discussing what degrees they had, etc. and then someone asked if I had a degree. I don't, and I found that embarrassing and intimidating. So, that was one of my most unpleasant moments of the evening. But for the most part I had a very enjoyable time. The meal was delicious. The gentleman who won "engineer of the year" made some entertaining remarks. And like I said, we met some very nice people. And it was fun to be dressed up and out with my handsome man. All in all, I'm up for it again next year!!!

Clara and I are off to "Baby-garten" at the library today. That's a bit more my speed!!! :-) :-) :-)

3 comments:

Marilena said...

Don't feel bad when people ask you about your "degree". You are in the process of getting your masters in the art of real life!! Which is more important in the eyes of the One who really matters than any high faluting degree that a college could ever give you.

Love you,
Mar

q-pig said...

The next time someone asks you if you have a degree, tell them you're working on a lifetime degree in Child Psychology and Development -- takes at least 18 years to break the surface! =)

Stephen and Gracie said...

Thank you ladies! I really appreciated you encouraging and kind comments!!!