Thursday, April 3, 2008

Determination or Insanity?

We have a couple birds around here that are either very determined or insane. A month or two ago they started trying to build a nest at the top of one of the columns that hold up our back patio roof. Well, nest building wasn't their talent, and the area they had selected wasn't very large, and they ended up with a big pile of sticks at the bottom of the column and very few on top. When the egg was laid it was only a matter of hours before it too landed on the cement below and was broken. Well, they appeared to give up the idea after that. However, as of a few days ago, they are now back at it. "Dad", I'm guessing, is busily bringing sticks, most of which are ending up on the ground. Some would say it's determination. Others might say it's insanity...continuing to do the same thing over again but expecting a different result. The birds can seem ridiculous, however, do I not do the same sort of things is life when I don't learn my lessons? When I do something stupid, irrational, unwise, yet again, after having done it many times before and it never producing some great, beneficial result, am I not being very much like those birds?


"Dad", I presume, and the growing pile around the column.

"Mom", I presume, sitting on the "nest".

No comments: